Cream Cheese Frosting

Frosting is very temperamental. It can't be too warm or too cold. This frosting is AMAZING. I put it on so many different types of cupcakes because cream cheese can pair with almost everything. But, there were a lot of mess ups before I figured out how to get it just right. 

Here's the tips and tricks I've figured out to make this frosting foolproof:


  • Do NOT skimp on the cream cheese or butter. Off brands of cream cheese will make your frosting too soft and almost runny. Margarine or cheap butter will do the same. I use Kirkland brand Costco butter and Philadelphia Cream Cheese always for this recipe. Trust me, I learned this the hard way many times. 
  • Make sure the cream cheese is softened to room temperate before you use it. If it's cold it will usually result in lumpy frosting. 
  • Use cold butter. This will keep the frosting from being too runny without having random lumps of cream cheese in it.


Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup Salted Butter (Cold)
8 oz block Cream Cheese (Softened, I use Philadelphia)
3 tsp vanilla
4 cups Powdered Sugar

1. Beat softened cream cheese, cold butter and vanilla in a mixer until well combined.
2. Add in powdered sugar a cup at a time and continue to mix until sugar is incorporated and the frosting reaches desired consistency.

***Read Notes in my post above for important tips to get the right frosting consistency!!***

Comments