Grandma Nielson's Chocolate Chip Cookies

So in the past couple months I have baked a LOT of chocolate chip cookies. Like so many different recipes, trying to see if I was missing out.

You know those Pinterest posts that say "BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie EVER"? Well those are all lies. To be honest the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had are my grandma's. They've got tons of Crisco, butter, and sugar of all kinds. They're great fresh out of the oven and even better in my lunch bag the next day when I need something sweet while farming away.


Some of my favorite childhood memories involve making chocolate chip cookies with grandma and then later stealing cookies from her cookie jar! I'm sure she knew that all of us cousins stole extra cookies but she must've loved us enough to let it slide. :) 




Grandma Nielson’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup Crisco regular shortening
1 cup Crisco butter flavor shortening (or 1 cup of margarine works too)
1 ½ cup white sugar
1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
4 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
4 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
12 oz. chocolate chips 
Cream shortenings and sugars; add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix, but not too much. Stir in chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Don’t overcook. 

And I just had to include a picture of my well-loved Nielson cookbook. You see that picture below with the cookie recipe on the bottom of the page with all of the scribbles? That's the recipe! I started learning how to bake with this recipe.

You can freeze this dough for later or bake it all up. The cookies stay moist for a few days if stored in a ziplock which is amazing! Y'all can thank Grandma Nielson for this one. 💙

Comments